Chakka Varattiyathu or Chakka Halwa or Chacka Vazhattiyathu is a homemade popular sweet from Kerala. This halwa is prepared with Jackfruit.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 – 45 Minutes
Servings: 5 persons
Main Ingredients: Jackfruit / Chakka
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
Course / Category: Sweet
Ripe Jackfruit / Chakka Pazham: 50 – 60 numbers (ripped)
Jaggery: 1.5 cups grated (or as per sweet requirement)
Ghee: 5 – 10 tblspn
Cashew / Groundnut: 10 (Roasted) (Optional)
Water: As required to mix well
There are many methods to prepare it. Here I am explaining a simple and less time consuming method to prepare this halwa.
1. Roast cashew / groundnut in ghee and keep it aside
2. Chop the unseeded jackfruit segments into fine pieces or cook it for few minutes in a low flame.
3. Grind the Jackfruit in a mixer to make a good paste
4. Transfer this to a flat thick bottomed pan
5. Take the jaggery and add water (use water to just dissolve the jaggery completely, if more water added cooking time increases)
6. Add this into the jackfruit paste and mix well
7. Put the mixture on heat to become thick. You need to stir it continuously.
8. Add ghee while stirring to avoid sticking the mixture to pan.
9. Add the roasted cashew or groundnut to the mixture.
10. At a stage it will leave the sides of the pan like a halwa or when the ghee started to comes out from the mixture it is cooked.
11. Turn off the heat and press it in the shape you want it to become. Allow it to cool.
12. Cut it into small pieces and serve.