Sharkara varatti is a sweet Kerala snacks made of plantain and Jaggery. It is a good tasty recipe mostly prepared at the time of occasions like Onam for sadhya. Sarkara varatti is very common recipe at almost all Kerala home.
Preparation Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 – 45 Minutes
Servings: 6 Persons
Main Ingredients: Raw Plantain (Banana), Jaggery
Course / Category: Snacks
Tags: Snacks, Onam, Sadhya
Raw Plantain: 3 Nos.
Jaggery Syrup: 1 cup
Ground Dried Ginger Powder: ½ tsp
Rice Flour: 2 tbs.
Cardamom: 3 nos.
Cumin powder: ½ tsp
Oil: for frying
1. Remove skin from the plantains and cut them into small pieces of about 1 cm. length and ½ cm width and thickness and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan at medium to high flame.
3. When the oil is hot, fry the plantain chips in medium flame.
4. Stir occasionally and fry the banana chips until it becomes golden yellow / crisp (It takes around 20 – 30 minutes).
5. Remove the chips from the pan and allow it to cool down.
6. Melt jaggery by adding water and remove impurities.
7. Add the cumin powder, cardamom to it.
8. Heat it on a low-medium flame and stir continuously to get a thick consistency (thread consistency / noon paruvam / it will not dissolve in water if dropped in water and if you put one drop on cold water, it will form pearl drop).
9. When it reaches correct consistency lower the flame and add the fried plantain pieces into it.
10. Stir continuously to mix it well (make sure that chips are not sticking each other).
11. Remove from the heat and add ginger powder to it.
12. Spread the rice flour into it and mix well.
13. Allow it to cool and keep them in an air tight container or serve.